Who doesn’t like cake? A little while ago Han and I got into making cakes over the weekend (They were gone by Monday). One of the bakes we made was a healthy banana and walnut cake which turned out pretty well. Here’s how we made it…
Read time: 10 Minutes
What you’ll need…
- 200g whole wheat flour
- 120ml cup melted coconut oil
- 120ml maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas – mashed
- 60ml almond milk – regular works fine
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g chopped walnuts – save some for toppings
How to make it…
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mix the coconut oil and honey.
- Add the eggs and mix until smooth, then mix in the mashed bananas and milk. (If your coconut oil goes hard, whack it in the microwave for 10 seconds).
- Throw in the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and mix.
- Now, chuck in the flour and mix until smooth again.
- Once this is done, add in the nuts and stir them in.
- Pour the mix into your greased loaf pan and top with any leftover nuts.
- Finally, put it in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes*
- Enjoy your healthy banana & walnut bread
*A good way to check if it’s done is to insert a knife into the cake, if it comes out clean it’s done. I sometimes under-cook slightly to stop it drying out. It will continue to bake once removed and cooling down.
So, there you go, a simple healthy banana & walnut cake for you to try when you get a bit of spare time. This goes really well as a relatively guilt free cheat meal. Alternatively, you can have the healthy banana & walnut cake as a post workout carbohydrate boost!