Over the Bank Holiday Han and I visited Esposito’s, a fantastic family run deli in the North West just outside of Liverpool…
One of the items we had whilst there was a pronut. You may be asking what exactly I have just said, a pronut!? Well yes, these exist, they are protein doughnuts and they’re amazing!!!
In fact, they were so good I decided to look into a recipe of my own to make at home. Now, they may not be up to the standard of Esposito’s pronuts, you’ll have to visit them for those bad boys. However, they are a good alternative. Hopefully you will enjoy them as well should you decide to make them…
What you’ll need for pronuts…
- 1 scoop Protein Powder – I used chocolate vegan powder
- 120g Greek yoghurt
- 50g blended oats
- 2 tbsp cocout flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A whole egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp peanut butter – Smooth or crunchy
For different flavour pronuts, simply swap the flavour of protein powder. Vanilla also works well!!
- Preheat your oven to 190c
- Throw all ingredients into a bowl and mix together until smooth removing any lumps – Unless you’ve used crunchy peanut butter
- Chuck the mixture into a greased doughnut tin – You can use coconut oil for this
- Put in the oven for 8-10 minutes until risen, fluffy and turning slightly golden
- Leave to cool and take the pronuts out of the tin
What to top your pronut with…
- Maple syrup always works well with these pronuts
- Aldi are currently doing a Taste of America Cinnamon pancake sugar which is amazing!!!
- This 2 ingredient caramel sauce from Amy’s Healthy Baking is a low-calorie option that can be drizzled over the top
- Try this zero calorie chocolate fudge syrup to dip the pronuts in
- Natural jams – You really can’t go wrong here
So there you go, homemade pronuts…
These are brilliant post workout snacks or a healthy treat if you have a sweet tooth. They are so quick to make and can be tweaked for flavours you enjoy.
If you give them a go please do let me know in the comments below. Also, if you find any toppings/variations then let me know what they are!