Last night Han and I tried another one of Joe Wicks’ Lean in 15 recipes, Popeye Chicken.
This was recommended to us by a friend and to be fair it sounded like exactly the type of food we like. The ingredient list isn’t a book in itself and there are no great skills needed to cook the dish. After a long day in work and a tough gym session this is exactly what we needed. Here’s how we made our latest Lean in 15 recipe…
What you’ll need for Lean in 15 Popeye Chicken…
The main ingredients:
- 2 Chicken Breasts (1 per person)
- 225g Vine Ripened Cherry Tomatoes – We used these
- One Bundle of Spring Onions – We used these
- 10g Butter
- Olive Oil to Season
- 50ml Singe Cream
- Large Handful of Spinach
- Pinch of Nutmeg – This was the only ingredient we needed to go out and buy
- Salt and Pepper to Season
- 4 Large Chestnut Mushrooms
- 85g Basmati Rice – Uncooked Weight (About 250g Cooked Weight)
How to make Lean in 15 Popeye Chicken…
- Pre-heat your grill and butterfly your chicken breasts – Stand on their edge and slice through until you can open them like a book. Normally only a small bit of meat is left joining the breast together.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper before placing under the grill to turn golden brown!
- Boil a kettle and put your rice in a pan, pour the water over the rice so it easily covers it and allow to cook
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, chop your spring onion into chunks, finely slice your mushrooms and drizzle your tomatoes in olive oil
- Check on your chicken and once the first side is golden brown, turn them over. Before putting them back in, place your tomatoes (off the vine) next to the chicken breasts and chuck them back under the grill.
- Heat a frying pan with the butter in and throw in your spring onions and mushrooms
- Once the veg starts to fry off and turn brown add in the spinach (Be careful this cooks quickly) and turn the heat down slightly under the pan.
- As your spinach wilts, add in the cream and bring just to the boil before adding in the nutmeg with a little salt and pepper to taste. Stir the seasoning in and turn the heat right down (almost off).
- Check your chicken is golden brown on the other side, remove from the grill and slice into pieces.
- Put the chicken and tomatoes on your plate before spooning the spinach, spring onion and mushrooms over the top and adding your serving of rice… Enjoy!!!
This is one of the easier and tastiest Lean in 15 recipes to make. It almost tastes like a cheat meal but it’s not!!! The work is in the prep, making sure you cut your meat and veg to time putting them into the pan/under the grill correctly. Now, a few of you eagle eyed readers may have realised the rice and mushrooms are not part of the original recipe. So, why did we add in a few extra’s?#
Well, the rice was because Han and I had just finished workouts. We needed the extra carbs to re-fuel so we didn’t wake up in a world of muscle aching pain! The mushrooms… we just like mushrooms to be honest. They actually went really well with the dish and were a good addition. I know some people don’t like them so that’s why I put them down as an optional extra.
I couldn’t recommend this recipe enough if you want a healthy meal that takes no time to make but tastes amazing. You don’t feel like you’re eating healthy food with this Lean in 15 recipe if that makes sense? It’s also easy to multiply out if you have more than two people to cook for. Perfect for a summer party dish or a mid-week tea, plus if you have children they will love this dish!