Through the colder part of the year, quick, tasty dishes are ideal after a long day at the office. No one wants to be spending too long cooking every evening. So, here’s one of my favourite ‘go to’ dinners, one pot chicken, chorizo winter warmer.
For this winter warmer the ingredient list is fairly short. The following will serve 3-4 people depending upon how hungry you are!
- 380g sweet potato
- 400g skinless chicken breast
- 225g chorizo
- 100g corgette
- 1 medium red onion
- Half red bell pepper
- Half yellow bell pepper
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Mixed herbs
This winter warmer genuinely does require one pan. Make sure it is a large pan though as the ingredients soon build up. I also used a double handled pan to allow easier mixing later on.
Step 1: Sweet Potatoes
- To start your winter warmer, fill your pan with water and bring to the boil
- Whilst this is going on chop your sweet potatoes up into chunks, size them to your preference but I went for bite-size chunks.
- Lob your sweet potatoes in and leave until they’re soft enough to gently push a knife through them
- Take them off the boil and drain, leave to one side
Step 2: Meats
- Wash your pan out and put back on a medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil in (not too much as the Chorizo is quite oily)
- Chop your chicken and chorizo up into small chunks and throw your chicken into the pan to brown slightly
- Once the chicken has started to brown, throw in the chorizo and leave to release its oils and also brown slightly
Step 3: Veg
- Whilst your meats are browning, get all of your veg and roughly chop. There’s no science to this, I find the rougher the better
- Once this is done, drizzle olive oil onto them, not too much, just enough to toss them about so all have a light covering
- After you have done this, sprinkle mixed herbs over the top of them and mix them up, again so all are slightly covered
Step 4: Combining it all
- Now it’s time to combine your winter warmer.
- By now your meat should be browning nicely, simply tip all of your veg into the pan to begin cooking with the meat.
- Make sure you mix around to cover the veg in chorizo oil and leave to soften SLIGHTLY
- Once your veg has started to soften take your sweet potatoes that have been chilling on the side and throw them into the pan as well
- This just needs tossing around for 2-3 minutes to ensure that your sweet potato and veg are covered in the oil from the chorizo and all is cooked through.
- Don’t worry if the sweet potato starts to break down here, that’s okay,
*I used a double handled pan to toss around easily*
Step 5: Serve and enjoy!
- All that is left to do now is plate up your winter warmer, portion out and enjoy!
Hopefully you’ll give this a go, if you do let me know what you think in the comments below!