This weekend, after the success of the last no bake dessert, we wanted to try another! This time around we fancied more of a snack to pick at as and when we felt peckish. So, we re-visited the go to source for healthy ans simple bakes, Healthy Living James. This time around we opted for the raw cacao & orange zest energy bars and here’s how they turned out.
Read time: 5 minutes
I should start by saying we opted for these due to the simplicity of the previous no bake recipe. There’s something quite cool about being able to make healthy and tasty treats without having to spend hours waiting for them to cook. We also wanted something refreshing and the use of orange zest in this recipe drew us in!
What you’ll need…
The beauty of these energy bars is that the ingredients list is so short. In addition, you may already have some lying around the house!
- 200g almonds
- 200g walnuts
*We actually used mixed nuts as we ran out of walnuts and they still worked well*
- 100g pitted dates (No Medjool dates this time but normal worked well)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- zest of whole large organic orange
How to make them…
Another simple recipe to follow which is perfect for a Saturday morning!
- Throw the almonds, walnuts and dates into a blender process into crumbs.
- Secondly, add the cacao, orange zest and water and mix again into a gloopy mix!
- Empty the contents onto a chopping board, pat together and press out into a rectangular shape.
- Put cling film over the top and flatten the mixture using a rolling pin to roughly 1cm thick.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to harden – I left them in overnight as well and they still tasted great
- Slice into pieces and serve – James recommends grating a bit of zest over the top to bring out the flavour, we did this and it works a treat (pardon the pun).
Another good tip from James is to roll the mixture into energy balls instead of bars. I had some left over after making the rectangle for the bars so did this. It works well, a bit like homemade Bounce balls.